The brief for this project was to design, supply and install new flue systems to serve the proposed bank of 4 No. Broag-Remeha Gas 610 and 1 No. Broag-Remeha Gas 310 boilers. The location of the site was an apartment block within the central London area and as such we needed to take into account the visual impact of the installation. Our sizing calculations indicated that the best solution would be for 2 No. common headers and risers to split the load of the plant. This kept both of the flues within the manufacturers standard size range and also reduced the visual impact on the external façade of the building.
Key factors for the design included:
- Flues to be externally mounted to existing building structure.
- All external items to be powder coated ensuring a minimised visual impact.
- Systems to be able to cope with wet, positive pressure conditions created by condensing gas fired boilers.
- Flues to terminate in accordance with Clean Air Act requiring additional support posts at high level.
The following product specification was used throughout the project:
- Internal Flue – Poujoulat Condensor – 316 grade stainless steel single wall.
- External Flue – Poujoulat TI – 316 grade stainless steel liner, 32mm insulation cavity, 304 grade stainless steel case.
- Support Masts – Poujoulat BTI – Stainless steel 3m extension posts.
The installation of this project was to take place in as short a time frame as possible to allow the new system to be commissioned and up and running to serve the apartment blocks heating requirements. A unique element of this particular installation was that the entire external systems were to be installed from a “post climbing” access basket, this meant that our team had to undergo site training on the operation of this access equipment before starting works. We also had to ensure that our installation procedures and associated risk and method statements took into account the additional risks of falling objects and tools from this equipment.