This particular site is a substantial leisure centre managed by Bristol City council approximately 4 miles outside of Bristol city centre. They offer 2 swimming pools, Fitness Gym, Group exercise & cycling studios, sports hall, Creche and a café. The Council required an onsite clean energy solution and specified for the installation of two Capstone C65 CHP gas turbines situated within an external compound to provide heat and power for the facility. Chimflue’s brief was to design, supply and install two high pressure exhaust systems to serve the newly installed CHP units. Each flue system was to rise up to termination using an existing mast system following the unique design and in keeping with 2 previously installed boiler flue systems.
Key factors for the design included;
- Flues to be externally mounted using an existing mast adhering to load limits.
- Bespoke fabricated support components to enable fitment onto the existing mast system.
- High pressure exhaust system required suitable for the appliances products of combustion
Poujoulat Therminox GEP 50 twin wall pre insulated exhaust system comprising of;
- 316 stainless steel liner
- High density mineral wall 50mm insulation
- Continuously welded liner & outer casing for applications up to 5000 pa / 600 oC
The installation of these 350mm external diameter systems were mostly carried out from a mobile elevated working platform supplied by Chimflue and operated by our own IPAF trained installation engineers. Due to the CHP units being located within an external compound with limited access, the MEWP was positioned outside of the compound. Specially fabricated mounting brackets were manufactured within Chimflue’s own workshop prior to our start on site so that our flue system would connect onto the mast unit and follow the lines of the existing boiler flues. Our installation was scheduled to take place while the site was in operation so a full cordon was in place around our area of works to ensure the safety of the general public.