The brief for this project was to design, supply and install a new flue system complete with smoke abatement and mechanical extraction to serve a solid fuel pizza oven within a new development of restaurants and fast food outlets in Guildford town centre. Franco Manca use a distinctive tiled oven in all of their sites which is situated on show within the restaurant to cook their signature sourdough pizzas. The flue system is also left exposed in all of their sites and therefore the design of the system needs to take this into account. On this particular site the riser at the rear of the building was subject to stringent planning restrictions and following our installation the flue was enclosed within an additional duct, this was then painted by an artist to match the existing brick work façade of the building.
Key factors for the design included:
- Smoke abatement unit to be installed to reduce levels of particulate at discharge and reduce likelihood of nuisance to surrounding buildings and residents.
- Due to planning restrictions and access difficulties the SMOKI unit was supplied with an integral fan system to keep all serviceable parts within the clients demise.
- The flue design needed to incorporate cleaning access’s throughout to ensure that the system could be properly maintained.
The following product specification was used throughout the project:
- Internal Flue – Poujoulat TI – 316 grade stainless steel liner, 32mm insulation cavity, 304 grade stainless steel case.
- External Flue – Poujoulat TI – 316 grade stainless steel liner, 32mm insulation cavity, 304 grade stainless steel case.
- Smoke Abatement System – SMOKI Water Wash Filtration System complete with integral fan and associated controls.
The installation of this project was undertaken for Chapman Ventilation who work closely with Franco Manca to provide a full ventilation and extract design and install package. We liaised closely with Chapman Ventilations project manager throughout the installation to ensure that the system was completed as designed and within the required time frame. The flue passed thorough the restaurants ceiling slab and into a rear car park area at which point a protection rail was installed by the main contractor to ensure that the flue remained guarded from collision. Using a MEWPS access machine we installed the riser up the rear of the building during a weekend to minimise disruption to other occupiers of the development.
Other Franco Manca sites completed to date……
Guildford / Brighton / Bromley / Stoke Newington / Wimbledon / Bermondsey Street / Earls Court / Ealing / Covent Garden / East Dulwich / Southfields / Broadgate Circle / Belsize Park / Soho