The scope for this project was to design, supply & install 6 x open gas fires with flues, attenuation and n-line fan units, 42 x Bio-ethanol fires and 3 x balanced flue gas fires, one of which required and in-line balanced flue fan unit. These fires were to serve the main living room in each of the luxury apartments with the exception of the 3-x balanced flue gas fires designated to serve the ground floor reception lobby and the lower ground meeting lobby.
Site is located in the much sought-after Kensington borough in London, backing onto the top end of Holland Park.
Key factors for the design included:
- The supply & installation of 42 new EcoSmart SmartFire XL900 Bio-ethanol Burners into specially designed stone fireplaces within luxury apartments. Specially designed fire surround to deflect the heat generated from the burners into the room as these appliances are not flued.
- The supply & installation of 3 Ortal 75 Front balanced flue gas fires within the reception lobby area, the north east and north west fires were served by concentric balanced flues running vertically before turning through 90’ to discharge horizontally through the wall. The lower ground fire was served by a balanced concentric flue that rose 5m to high level, passed through and in-line fan unit then continued to discharge horizontally through the wall.
- The supply & installation of 6 open gas fires with a Nu-Flame MkIII Evolution Plus gas burner within specially fabricated fireplace. Each fire was served by a 316-stainless steel twin wall insulated flue. Each flue had two specially designed attenuator lengths installed before and after an in-line flueboost fan unit which was suspended from the ceiling via studded rod as per acoustic specialist requirements. Each flue followed varied routes within the roof void to terminate horizontally through the wall.
The project had to be installed within line of various regulations and work alongside all other services in a very small amount of space available.
The following product specification was used throughout the project:
- Open Gas Fire Flues – Metaloterm MF 130mm Diameter & 200mm Diameter 316 grade stainless steel flue. Flueboost 350 Gas Fire Fans. Nu-Flame MkIII Evolution Plus Gas Burners
- Bio-Ethanol Open Fires – Smartfire XL900 Bioethanol Burners
- Reception Fires – Ortal 75 Standalone Front Balanced Flue Fires. Metaloterm US 100/150mm diameter stainless steel flue, Ortal In-line balanced flue fan unit.
The design, supply & installation of all the systems were completed by Chimflue over a period of 2 years. We worked very closely with the main contractors, architects and relative trades to co-ordinate and design and design our installation of each type of fireplace to ensure a smooth and efficient installation process. With a constantly evolving site the process of installation could vary from apartment to apartment and block to block, with the site comprising of four main blocks and around 60 apartments from Lower ground to 5th floor.