Our client for this project was the Design Fireplaces who had been awarded the contract for the fireplaces and flues on this exclusive Hampstead development by Barratt Homes.
The project involved the design, supply and installation of fanned flue systems to serve the proposed fireplaces within two separate blocks of exclusive apartments in Bishops Avenue, one of the most exclusive addresses in London. Each apartment was to have an open gas fireplace, which would require a suitable flue and fan system to operate it correctly with a fail-safe cut off in the gas supply in the event of fan failure.
Key factors for the design included:
- All flues to run both horizontally and vertically within the building to find suitable riser locations.
- Minimal space to be lost within the apartments where the flues were to be boxed in, this involved bringing flues close together and running along underside of ceiling levels.
- Fan systems to be sized in accordance with Exhausto’s recommendations to ensure no noise transmission at fireplace openings.
- Fail safe to be provided to ensure that the gas supply to the fires is cut off in the event of fan failure.
- Fan systems not to be seen from ground level surrounding the building, the fans therefore needed to be wall mounted on purpose built brickwork piers from the flat roof surface.
- All building regulations and manufacturers design instructions to be followed.
The following product specification was used throughout the project:
- Specially fabricated 316 grade stainless steel insert gathers to suit the proposed fireplace chamber sizes.
- Internal Flue – Poujoulat ZI – 316 grade stainless steel liner, 32mm insulation cavity, aluzinc case.
- External Flue – Poujoulat TI – 316 grade stainless steel liner, 32mm insulation cavity, 304 grade stainless steel case.
- Exhausto RSVG fan units in a wall mounted situation.
- Exhausto EFC21 controls with solenoid valves to provide fail safe within gas supplies.
The installation of this project was to take place over an extended program as the units would come ready for our works in phases. Our experienced engineers attended site and worked along with the main contractor to ensure that systems were integrated into the available space along with all the other necessary services. During the installation our sales engineers attended site to make note of proposed changes from the original design and to ensure the fan and flue sizing’s remained suitable for the purpose of the systems. Upon completion of the project our drawings were amended to show the as installed routes of the flues and fans systems.