The brief for this project was to design, supply and install a new flue system complete with smoke abatement and mechanical extraction to serve a solid fuel pizza oven within a Central London shopping centre location. The restaurant operator – Rossopomodoro use a unique, gold mosaic covered oven as a centre piece to all their restaurants and keep the associated twin wall flue system and often the smoke abatement unit on show. We therefore need to take this into account with our designs to ensure that it not only works correctly but is aesthetically pleasing in its appearance.
Key factors for the design included:
- Flues to be on show and as such aesthetics were an important factor in design.
- Smoke abatement unit to be installed to reduce levels of particulate at discharge and reduce likelihood of nuisance to surrounding buildings and residents.
- Mechanical extraction to be provided to ensure a constant draught at the ovens outlet and stop spillage of smoke into the restaurant area.
- Access points to be designed into the system allowing regular maintenance to be easily carried out.
The following product specification was used throughout the project:
- Internal Flue – Poujoulat TI – 316 grade stainless steel liner, 32mm insulation cavity, 304 grade stainless steel case.
- External Flue – Poujoulat TI – 316 grade stainless steel liner, 32mm insulation cavity, 304 grade stainless steel case.
- Smoke Abatement System – SMOKI Junior Water Wash Filtration System.
- Extract System – Exodraft RSV Vertical Discharge Termination Fan.
The installation of this project was to take place in conjunction with the shop fitting contractor and in line with the shopping centres facility management department. The smoke abetment system from SMOKI in Italy was installed onto a specially fabricated support framework next to the oven in the main restaurant area. This was connected to the oven with a conventional twin wall flue capable of withstanding the high temperatures involved. All flue from the SMOKI to termination was installed with a minimum 5’ incline to allow all condense present to drain back out of the system. The system was terminated with an Exodraft chimney top fan outside of the restaurant’s demise above the shopping centres main plant deck.
Rossopomodoro sites completed to date……
- Covent Garden
- Oxford Street
- Swiss Cottage